Friday 28 September 2007

Miriam's networking!!

Hello there!
My turn again... it's been a while because my laptop's hard disk died a few days ago.... we've ordered a new one, but meanwhile it's rather hard to access Paco's computer since he's got it with him and/or is working on it most of the time.

However, in the meanwhile I've been doing my own networking in Cambridge, making the most of time before Leo (we still think it's a boy!) is born.

Two weeks ago I visited a lovely toddler's group near home and Diego had a great time while I got to know a few local mums. They organize "messy time", with finger paints and glue and soap and all-sorts first thing in the morning, then we all traipse outside to the playground for slides and cars ("coche!!!" Diego exclaims!!) and tricycles, followed by coffee and tea for mums and milk and snacks for the kids. Then it's books, a special activity (last week it was sand) and singing before going home.

There I met a mum who's having an elective caesarean on the 24th of October and who's eldest child is only a month older than Diego, also her husband is South-American and she's from the States, so having to cope alone here too! As you see quite a few things in common... I also got to know a neighbour (she lives round the corner from me) who has already offered to look after Diego for me a few hours a week when baby n.2 comes along if I need a breather ...

On Sunday we decided to visit the Round Church where we felt quite comfortable. We might be going back this Sunday or we might visit a different church, depending on other activities. However I found out they too have a toddlers group on Wednesday... so I went along to that this week... it was rather chaotic, there must have been at least 50 kids there, but Diego enjoyed it and I believe it will become another weekly activity.

Apart from that I am meeting up with other MBA wives (MBA standing for Men Busy or Absent!!!) at least once a week. This week it was cinema while the dads babysat! and next Tuesday we are meeting up for coffee... it will also be my birthday so that will be a pleasant start to my day.

I must say I have found the wive's network invaluable already. Paula and Blanca (from Chile) both picked me up and took me back home from my visit to the Rosie Hospital on Thursday and I really can't say how much I appreciate their support and help.

By the way... (hahaha) the result of my latest appointment at the hospital is that my Caesarean has been booked for October 18th... so unless anything happens before then that will be Leo's birthday!

However, since Paco and I will be visiting the hospital with my midwife next Sunday I will tell you more about that then. For the moment the good news is that Paco will be allowed in with me the whole time, which I'm feeling much relieved about.

I guess this post is long enough already!! More coming soon... I hope!!!

No comments: