Monday 29 October 2007

First exam, first pub night

First exam done: Management Science. I'm quite happy, I think I won't have problems to pass. And after the exam, first Pub Night, but in this case first only for me, because some of my classmates go out much more often.

As I say above, I'm quite happy with how I did in the exam, but the test was quite difficult and long, much more than I expected. To be honest at some point I nearly panicked because I was wasting too much time in one of the easiest questions. They only gave us 90 minutes to answer 9 questions with 2 to 5 points each and different weight in the final score. I suspect that this is part of the test. It's almost impossible to answer all the questions perfectly in such a short time.

One of the reasons because I'm happy is because the lecturers told us that unless you don't answer most of the questions or answer them completely incorrectly you should always pass. I think I answered 7 of them quite well and only made a couple of serious mistakes in two of the others. But you never know. I had to write very fast and my grammar and spelling won't be very good.

That's another point. Here at Judge there is not a ranking of students so the possible outcomes are pass or not pass, with the only exemption that the top 10% at the end of the course will get into the Director's List, which of course is good, but of little use during your job search because the list is published around six months after the end of the course and by that time everyone should be already working. Besides, in the last list all the students were native speakers so it is obvious that fluency really matters.

I was also happy to hear Bernhard, a very bright austrian guy who is a Mathematician, and who told us that what we learned during the course is what you study in second or third year in a Maths undergraduate degree, and that we covered lot of content in a very short time.

But where I want to get is to the evening, when around 80 students gathered in The Anchor to celebrate that one less exam was left. I really needed to go out one night and relax. Everyone was in a very good mood and we laughed a lot.

Oliver, one of the german guys, organised a drinking game reportedly played by the German Army. It was quite funny and sometimes a bit ridiculous, so English, American and Australians joked about it trying to find a correlation between the game and the German defeat in the world war. Tim, an english guy who has been living in Japan for seven years took lots of pictures. I paste one below.


In the picture, from left to right, Dihan from India, Juan from Mexico, Jonas from Sweden, me, Sean, Maxine and Justin from USA and Steffi from China.

As I said, there were much more people in the party and there is more picture, but I don't want to undermine anyone's future employment possibilities...
;-)

No comments: