Thursday 11 October 2007

Leonardo beats all records!!!

Paco once more has been quicker than me at updating you all... Leo is very good and does sleep quite a bit, but Diego needs his mummy's full attention right now, so it's hard to find a moment to actually sit down at the computer and write... also because it's VERY tempting to just go and have a rest when they are both KO!

However, I do want to give you my version of this most exciting event before memory fails me, so here it goes:

Well, I'd been having contractions on and off for a few weeks, some days more than others, but together with other simptoms (I won't go into all the details ;-)) I was beginning to suspect that things were beginning to move... I was quite sure I wouldn't last 'til the 18th... but then one just doesn't know...

On Friday (gosh! was it only a week ago?? it feels like ages already!) I started having definite symptoms that things were indeed moving fast, but I refused to believe that Leo was really that determined to be born the minute his dad nipped away. However, I warned mum in Italy just in case she needed to change her flight urgently and Blanca and Paula here in Cambridge, should I need somebody to take me to hospital in the middle of the night and look after Diego . I also vaguely mentioned to Paco over the phone that it looked like things were moving, but without worrying him too much. He would be back in 24 hrs anyway... I would last that long.

Well, I didn't... my waters went at 1.30 in the morning, so I quickly phoned Paco and Blanca, picked up some clothes for Diego (Blanca: where are Diego's shoes!!!) , packed a few extra things in my bag, bundled Diego up in , his sleeping bag and off we went.

Once in hospital I started to relax a bit: the midwives were great, Diego was sleeping and Blanca stayed overnight to look after him (Thank you for everything once again!!) and there were no contractions, so I only wanted the doctors to wait for Paco to arrive to start operating. I even managed to get some sleep. In the beginning they said they probably wouldn't wait, they didn't want to risk having to cope with an emergency when they could do things without hurrying in the morning, but morning came and nobody came to take me to the operating theatre so I spent the morning chatting to Blanca and Paula (who also came to give a hand, while Andrés picked Paco up at the airport: thanks to you both too!!) and waiting.... and then the contractions started... they weren't bad at the beginning but they got very intense very fast... at which point I started thinking that well... they could start operating... it was midday already after all, and Paco would be there at 1.00, in time to see baby just born if not to actually be in the operation... and then 12.30 and contractions are becoming more and more painful... couldn't they start giving me the spinal???? Pleeeeaaaseeee!!! IT IS HURTING!!! And where is Paco????

Well by the time Paco arrived I was having "tightenings" (!!) every two minutes for a minute but they still were not operating (they gave me gas, though!) since the anaesthetist was occupied in an emercengy and I was thinking that I really shouldn't have been going through all that... it was supposed to have been a programmed caesarean... but then it was my own fault for wanting my husband there, so there was nobody to blame!

However they eventually got me on the operating table and gave me the spinal... after that it was all really quick, Paco has given you all the details of the operation, but I didn't feel a thing except for a little pulling and tugging and Leo was born on October 6th at 15.25 pm weighing 2.510 kg (5 lb 9 oz) and is a wonderful tiny weeny baby!

Thanks to all of you who have been calling and mailing and helping out in all sorts of ways! I will try to take a few more pictures in the next days.

Time to sleep now... or feed... Leo is making noises!! Will be back soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ke guapo están los dos¡¡ Leo es precioso y Diego está grandísimo y guapísimo.Os echamos mucho de menos. Muchos besitos de tu cuñada y tu sobrino Iván.

Unknown said...

Ke guapo están los dos¡¡ Leo es precioso y Diego está grandísimo y guapísimo.Os echamos mucho de menos. Muchos besitos de tu cuñada y tu sobrino Iván.